My Photo
Name:
Location: Waco, Texas, United States

My life is blessed with a wonderful husband of 47 years, Darrell Lee Selke. Together we have had quite an adventure. A wedding in 1970, four kids; turning into a Gibbie and a Poppie with 13 grankids ...and staying joyful as we truly give God glory for such abundant blessings all along the way. We've had our challenges as all families do, but life is good because God is good. I love being a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend. We're excited about the future and looking forward to the next adventure God has for us,just around the corner I'm sure.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Snakes...

Speaking of snakes... there have been a few this rainy summer let me tell you. The thought used to terrify me and surprisingly... though I still do not care for the slithering reptiles, they are becoming common. I remember the year we moved to Central Texas. I was appalled at finding out we were living in the midst of the most broadly populated land of insects I could have ever dreamed or had nightmares about. Ticks, fleas, scorpions, various colors and sizes of beetles and spiders, etc. etc. We finally adjusted and faced those bugs head on by way of an exterminator and now here we are; living out in the country with snakes all around. The rain seems to have drawn them in, made them healthier and more abundant. I cannot count the number of pigeon eggs and baby squabs they have enjoyed or how many snake heads have been cut off when Darrell finds those pesky reptiles bunched up in a corner of his pigeon pen with that tell-tell lump in its middle. Chicken snakes, garden snakes, bull snakes, and unfortunately a few Copperheads. YIKES! Just day before yesterday my hubby and I were out walking; walking and sweating; sweating and walking when shhhhh... I saw it! Just ahead on the road in front of us and next to our very own yard. I grabbed Darrell's arm; it took him a few seconds to focus in on the thing that set off my mental alarm and blended so well with the pavement, but there it was; a huge and very long chicken snake; slithering along, stopping; sensing there might be danger close by. Barely moving at all thinking, I'm sure, that it had somehow become invisible. Darrell was carrying an old golf club in case he had to valiantly protect us from any fierce dogs on our little stroll through the neighborhood, but all of them are gone; thank the Lord! That's a different subject... back to the snakes. I begged him not to hurt the unsuspecting animal just lying there with no hands or feet, so he opted to play with it for awhile like an adventurous little boy, tormenting it as he pushed it around to see what it would do, scooping it up and slinging the thing across the road. It coiled and struck several times at the inanimate object that had become it's enemy. To no avail. Finally, the poor thing escaped into the grass and headed toward Mary Anne's house. I'm sure she would really appreciate that if she knew about it. Ah well, there are more snakes where that one came from and plenty to go around during this hot rainy summer. The love of my life will fill his quota I'm sure. Shhhhh... don't tell the girls he said. hahaha

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Yuck! Glad I didn't see that snake!

July 11, 2007 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm not a fan of snakes at all, but I REALLY don't think I'll ever be ok with the insects! I HATE them!!!

July 11, 2007 at 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home