My Photo
Name:
Location: Waco, Texas, United States

My life is blessed with a wonderful husband of 47 years, Darrell Lee Selke. Together we have had quite an adventure. A wedding in 1970, four kids; turning into a Gibbie and a Poppie with 13 grankids ...and staying joyful as we truly give God glory for such abundant blessings all along the way. We've had our challenges as all families do, but life is good because God is good. I love being a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend. We're excited about the future and looking forward to the next adventure God has for us,just around the corner I'm sure.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Embracing 60 With Guts and Grace

At nearly 4:47 AM on this Friday morning, it came to me; hit me like a ton of bricks. You know, one of those lightning bolt moments or a bolt-you-out-of-bed instant where you know God is speaking and you better listen. One of those kind. It was like a dream only not. Something I knew to be true, had even dabbled in, but in all honesty had kept pushing aside and writing it on my mental "I'll-do-it-later-to-do-list" that was already laden with dust and cobwebs.

There are some things I want in this life, wish and hope for, but the bottom line is; praying my guts out for spectacular health in my "latter years" and maybe another mission trip before I die will not somehow single me out because I'm so special. My most sincere desire will not transform me into some kind of mid-life super woman without any effort, sacrifice or action on my part. I know this! This is nothing new; I think about losing weight every single day. I think about setting goals and taking steps toward them. I live in a fantasy world while watching "Biggest Loser" and eating Hershey bars and graham crackers for Pete's sake! I am not what the medical world would call obese; however, if I don't change my course, I'll get there. I know, I know; I've dipped my toes in exercise and good food so many times, but the fact is, time is running out and it is running fast as I add years to my life, so diligence is crucial.

Now for my jump-out-of-bed-suddenly revelation; a heaven-sent vision of what my future can be at the age of 60 if I will but cooperate. For the sake of accountability, I am going to blog a journal "out loud" regarding my journey from 153 pounds of fluff to a strong and healthy muscle-toned woman and put a stop to simply talking and... yes, sometimes whining about it. I am proudly going gray in this season of life and as a mother of four amazing adult children, grandmother (known as Gibbie) of the fabulous 9 and counting, I will be 60 years of age in August. Instead of trying not to think about my next birthday, I've decided to embrace the moment and live fully; spirit, soul, and body for God's glory and a new waistline to boot. I intend to have a blast doing it and may even get a camera so I can take pictures of my Aesics and my dwindling form to make my blog a bit more interesting. This is a much bigger story than losing flab let me tell you. It's God's story unfolding in me and I'm giddy with excitement over what He will surely reveal to me each day as I walk with with Him in obedience. I am expecting to write wonderful words of praise to my God during these next days and weeks or maybe I'll sometimes hear the quiet of his peace and write nothing. We'll see, but whatever He does in me will be perfect and good; whatever I do in my own strength or for vain glory will not. So my focus is on Him and my feet are headed out to faithfully put one in front of the other every day.

I don't know if anyone will read this or even give me a reassuring nod, although my sweet sleepy husband went to work-out with me at 6:00 this morning. What a great guy. My hope is we will be together in this thing that has dropped down into my heart and limbs. I invite you to step into your walkin' shoes as well and let me know how you are doing. I need the encouragement and you probably do too. I've taken off my rose-colored glasses and know without a shadow of a doubt that this is not going to be easy and will even be painful at times. There will be days I will wonder why in the world I opened my big mouth and told you that I have made this commitment, but commitment it is. No turning back! Whether we are 13, 30, 60 or 80; we have only one chance at life and one body to get us from here to there. God has plans for us that are good and not evil; plans to bless us with hope and a future. I say let's double-bow tie our laces so we won't stumble, stay in His presence, and hit the trail. There WILL be more to come on this subject.

2 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

I love it! Looking forward to being motivated! Like I said on FB, I love cooking/eating healthy....but I also love chocolate desserts and cheeseburgers. :-) I've been meaning to start running for about 4 months now...might be a good time to actually start!

January 25, 2010 at 11:58 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Well, you've done great!!! Are you still walking and eating like you have been? Just wondering. :)

August 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home