My Photo
Name:
Location: Waco, Texas, United States

My life is blessed with a wonderful husband of 47 years, Darrell Lee Selke. Together we have had quite an adventure. A wedding in 1970, four kids; turning into a Gibbie and a Poppie with 13 grankids ...and staying joyful as we truly give God glory for such abundant blessings all along the way. We've had our challenges as all families do, but life is good because God is good. I love being a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend. We're excited about the future and looking forward to the next adventure God has for us,just around the corner I'm sure.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

As Though It Were Yesterday...

April 3, 1979... how could so much time have passed, but it has. My baby is having her 29th birthday today and I can remember holding this little dark-haired beauty for the first time among the IV tubes and monitors after a risky emergency C-section; looking into her tiny newborn face with it's perfectly formed features; her warm breath on my chest as a sweet nurse helped me hold her there. Emily was my last baby and I was in awe of her; wanting to somehow capture that quiet moment forever. I remember even as I am writing this, as though it were yesterday. What deep love I felt then and now, and I hover over and protect those memories and this moment like a mother bird protecting her nest with her wings and with her life. I can close my eyes and be back in our small house at 1415 Vernon in Plainview, Texas and I can almost feel what it was like with my newest little one sleeping soundly in her frilly white bassinet right next to my bed. I can once again feel the weight of her as I pick her up and cradle her in my arms. I can imagine the softness of her hair and her chubby baby skin if I try. Thank You Lord for memories. Life goes on, but isn't it nice that sometimes we can go back to a time of treasured experiences that we hold in our hearts forever? My baby, my youngest child, Emily Joy, fills my heart and mind today. We had a very hard and critical time getting her out of the womb and into my arms, but by God's grace and His merciful hand we are both alive and well and learning to love each other at a deeper level than ever before. I think the love of a child is more of a trusting dependence on being cared for and loved by others rather than purposefully loving; then there is a breaking away that begins in those middle years; emotionally painful in many ways, but needful as our little ones reach out to find their own way. Rebellion sometimes happens, but not only by the child. I've learned as I look back, the rebellion of a mother who longs to keep her babies with her, yet knowing she can't and that she must not is just as real. Growing up happens for both mother and child, and though usually difficult, it is always good. Growing up ushers in that strong and deep love we share as adults I believe. A richness that I never imagined and a freedom so priceless that brings about a common bond of honor, respect and so much joy. I love my baby girl. I love the way she can make me laugh and how she cares for others. I love that she stands strong for Truth and justice for all. I love the woman my little girl has become. Happy Birthday Emily Joy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Vinho, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://vinho-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

April 3, 2008 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Mama Jeannie said...

Vinho, I wish I spoke your language so I could know what you have to say. I gather you are in the wine business? Very interesting. How did you happen onto my bog? Glad you enjoyed it. God bless you.

April 4, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home