My Photo
Name:
Location: Waco, Texas, United States

My life is blessed with a wonderful husband of 47 years, Darrell Lee Selke. Together we have had quite an adventure. A wedding in 1970, four kids; turning into a Gibbie and a Poppie with 13 grankids ...and staying joyful as we truly give God glory for such abundant blessings all along the way. We've had our challenges as all families do, but life is good because God is good. I love being a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend. We're excited about the future and looking forward to the next adventure God has for us,just around the corner I'm sure.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Running; Now That's A Novel Idea...

Running; something I admire more than words can tell. When; how does that happen for some and not for others? Running is something that happens only in my imagination. However, the other day I decided to make my dream a reality. I got up at 4:30 AM with what I thought was a resolve to begin again; take those baby steps toward getting physically fit before I'm an old lady. I put on my workout clothes, turned on the outside lights and began to jog around the back yard. I would rather run out on our country road, but that is not an option at 4:30 in the morning. Dogs howl, people come out with their shotguns wondering if I'm a burglar. Since there is no shoulder to move over on when cars and trucks pass by and bothersome dogs who get a kick out of chasing me as though I were a rabbit innocently hopping across a field; my back yard is the better option. That day, I ran to where the shadows swallowed the light beside the septic system fence and back past the screened porch to the jasmine vine growing gracefully up and over a wooden trellis; around a small Oak tree I would go and back again. I did this twice and thought my lungs might burst or my legs would surely detach and fall off. So walking seemed to fit my style and I did this on the same path; over and over and over again for about 20 minutes trying to visualize a flat tummy and firm thighs; pounds falling off one by one with every step. I was feeling pretty good about myself and at the time thought, "I can do this! I'll jog and walk every day; or maybe three times a week at the least. Jog and walk; walk and jog. A perfect time to pray, sing to the Lord, strengthen my heart and renew this half century old body to boot." By nightfall I was totally exhausted and slept until 6:00 the next morning. No running, no walking since then; just a couple stretches here and there as I dream about what it would be like to stick with it; to be consistent; to run in a marathon? Well, maybe around the block a couple times a week. Lord, I can tell, You are my only help in this seemingly impossible cycle of repeatedly failing to revisit my youthful body. Where did it go and is it beyond my reach to fight the flab once more?

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I am all for you working out in the backyard, stay away from those nasty dogs! You should really consider hooking up with a trainer at the SLC. I think that would help with the whole accoutability thing and you are more likely to stick with it when you are paying someone for their input. I know that has been the case with me so far.

September 24, 2007 at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home