My Photo
Name:
Location: Waco, Texas, United States

My life is blessed with a wonderful husband of 47 years, Darrell Lee Selke. Together we have had quite an adventure. A wedding in 1970, four kids; turning into a Gibbie and a Poppie with 13 grankids ...and staying joyful as we truly give God glory for such abundant blessings all along the way. We've had our challenges as all families do, but life is good because God is good. I love being a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend. We're excited about the future and looking forward to the next adventure God has for us,just around the corner I'm sure.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Questions Continued...

Some questions deserve so many answers because there are so many memories. Some not so good, but many which bring me back to my childhood with smiles and laughter. Even the feel of sunshine can take me back to our backyard in Amarillo when my sisters and I were little. Maxine and I were such good buddies; I would say she was my best friend. We would gather up piles of dirt in little bowls and cups, mix it all up with water and put our gourmet creations of mud pies and cakes in our pretend oven. Grandma tells about how she would sometimes look out the kitchen window and how she loved to watch her little girls play. When we moved to Bowie Street in that same city, we would play school out in the garage using one wall for a "chalkboard" and either Maxine and I would be the students and Stella would be the teacher or I might just be the teacher and line up all our dolls for a classroom full of kids. In the summers Maxine and I would eat breakfast and head out early for Southlawn park. We liked to get to the cement wading pool while the maintenance man filled it with icy cold water. After the first torturous dip, we were the most beautiful and graceful mermaids ever imagined. Our adventures continued on our trek home as we would veer off the beaten path along the street; winding through alleys, walking along the tops of fences as though they were high cliffs or a balance beam. We'd cut through shrubs and trees, becoming jungle women on a dangerous and very exciting mission. So many more childhood memories and I am so thankful for parents who allowed us to dream and encouraged us to be creative in our play. It was a different world back then where we didn't have to be afraid to walk to a park and the term 'cell phone' was not even a thought. We did not have to deal with the onslaught of technological gadgets. TV was a luxury we would watch with our family on occasion and outside was our playroom. We did have a few toys and dolls, but could make a game or an imaginary world out of fallen branches or an old tire, maybe a club house underneath the bushes or in an old rickety storage shed. My favorite place of all was in my 'thinking tree' out by the street. I would climb up as high as I dared, lean back on a branch and watch the world go by below... truly from a bird's point of view.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would definitely go back to Spain, but I have dreamed of visiting Germany as well. There are families who live there who I love and pray for and it would be so great to walk with them in their world for awhile. I would love to see Uganda and love the people there with our friends, the McCalls and Porters, and others who are laying their lives down for the cause of Christ in this nation. I've also heard Italy is a beautiful part of the world, but I don't know anyone there. I guess my first choice at this point would be Germany and a visit to Gimmelwald, Switzerland so I could experience what my two 'little girls' enjoyed a few years ago. I want to hike to the 'mouth of the river' and feel the touch of God there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is a deep joy in relationships and seeing the people I love cared for and happy. However, my greatest joy is in those times of worship when the presence of Jesus is so personal and there is a glory and awe of being with Him, loving Him with the music of my heart and allowing Him to love me at an inexpressible depth too amazing for words. Nothing in this life can compare to having the privilege of stepping into that place before His throne and to be held close to His heart. And to think that He, the God of the universe, longs to call us His friends. Amazing!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think my favorite gifts are the ones I receive knowing kind thoughts of love were specifically given in the buying or making of them. Like the ceramic plate from Allie and Jack that says, "If We could Pick Any Flower, We'd Pick Our Gibbie". I loved getting our new toaster and coffee maker at Christmas because it is something we really needed and to receive the very one that I had in mind was so special. I love my "Gibbie" bracelet with all my grandkids' birthstones and the framed photos of all my kids and their babies. Gifts that I know were not just an afterthought or a last minute chore, but rather out of a real love for who I am are the best. Because I enjoy flowers so much, anything that has to do with my dream of a beautiful retreat in our yard is always appreciated, like the pretty planter A&E gave us for our screened porch or the fountain my husband bought a couple weeks ago. Watching our newest little feathered friend, a tiny hummingbird, take a bath in the top of it as it bubbles out is such fun. Amy, a closeup photo of him would be a treasured gift for sure. :0) Gifts of time are a treasure as well. I love it when someone I love wants and chooses to spend time with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home