My Photo
Name:
Location: Waco, Texas, United States

My life is blessed with a wonderful husband of 47 years, Darrell Lee Selke. Together we have had quite an adventure. A wedding in 1970, four kids; turning into a Gibbie and a Poppie with 13 grankids ...and staying joyful as we truly give God glory for such abundant blessings all along the way. We've had our challenges as all families do, but life is good because God is good. I love being a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend. We're excited about the future and looking forward to the next adventure God has for us,just around the corner I'm sure.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Standing in the Shadows... or I Don't Know What!

I wonder if this is true about all men or just my four punkin seeds' daddy? To be sure, he is a wonder. The things he can get by with... that I can't, are no less than astounding at times. He has always been a favorite of his little princesses; a hero to his son... as it should be. He has always been their 'knight in shining armor' and has surely had the wisdom of a prophet in their eyes; the man who could rescue them from any earthly dragon. I'm sure their perspective has alot to do with the fact that I was a common occurance on a daily basis; he was a rare and wonderful surprise who popped in with his happy-go-lucky demeanor. Always playful; never demanding anything; always there with a generous hand whether our bank account actually had a balance or not. Whatever they want they get... short of him REALLY hanging the moon for them of course. If I am listening to a favorite song and they think it's boring; the radio station gets changed. If they dropped the ball on an obvious and well-known responsibility, "it's OK". They're too tired; too busy; need to have more fun and less work or just didn't understand. I would say, "Get a job." and he would say, "They're only kids once." I would say "No driving until you have a license." He would give them the keys.... afterall we lived in a small town, so "what could it hurt?" I would say, "This is your last warning!" He would watch them do it again and say, "Don't let your mama know." What am I; chopped liver?!! However, I will say, at those few times he would demand obedience or respect or give correction, our kids would listen up. He could do more good with one phrase than I could with the wisdom of a thousand words given seven days a week just to help them survive until adulthood. My husband can be bored out of his mind at a meeting, family gathering or public function; sit there like a bump on a pickle and not say a word unless someone wants to talk to him about football, and he is lauded as the life of the party; the wise one; the mentor of youth in America. I can voice a comment alluring to a small frustration and my kids will come to bat for their daddy; jump on me like chickens on a junebug, sure I am jumping to unfounded conclusions. They are sure that whatever their daddy does is right and most likely understandable; from leaving his socks in a ball and apple cores on the floor in the living room; to spending much needed time sleeping in front of a blaring TV. It is true that he works alot of hours and goes the extra mile when it comes to his job. He will truly drop everything to help someone who asks... well, almost anyone. Need I tell you the hours that mothering demands? I will not even go there. Funny, the sympathy this man of my dreams receives as he falls exhausted into his trusty recliner with everyone's blessing, yet I get tired and am mockingly told that I am getting 'old'. I turn up the TV a notch and reference to becoming elderly is once again spoken over me. Never mind the brain-cell-destroying volume I endured as they were growing up.
I try to diligently work in my home to make it an orderly, beautiful and inviting retreat for all who enter our door; have spent years learning and improving my ability to do these things and keeping my home is something I honestly enjoy and find rewarding. In turn, I am laughed at for my clean and tidy habits. Trying to get everything done each morning before I go to work is not always successful, so there are things left to do on the weekends. Just the other day, I remembered some garden tools that were left out, so I went to put them away; fed the dogs while I was at it; loaded the dishwasher and started the laundry. I had fixed a nice breakfast for my family earlier and at some point I went out to sweep the porch; all of which I thought needed to be done while my dear husband and our youngest and her husband enjoyed watching ESPN for awhile before we had more company. As I walked through the living room, I again was mocked and accused of 'pacing', rather than any acknowledgement of accomplishing anything worthwhile. Ah well, at least the tools were put away, clean towels were on the way, the dogs were fed, there would be a clean counter free of the breakfast mess, and less cobwebs and leaves for grandbabies to munch on while playing out on the porch. I heard a little song recently regarding the quirks of some dear people and thought it was actually funny... until I later thought to myself.... "I wonder what my verse says?" and then it wasn't funny any longer. I am still trying to be a good wife/mother/grandmother, but I fall short so many times. I wish I were more fun, cuter, more 'with it', but I am me. I keep plugging along, doing what I think is best; working hard at what I am called to, even though there is no monetary value or payment for it. I keep loving how my kids love and respect my sweet husband and wondering how he gets by with stuff. One evening as we took two sleepy and cranky grandbabies home to put them to bed and after realizing the extra pack-'n-play had been left in a car that wasn't where we were; one of my girls called their daddy thinking maybe he would stop watching a football game with the boys and bring it. He surprisingly said, "Just lay him on a bed with pillows around him when he goes to sleep. He'll be fine." She thought how funny her daddy was. Am I funny when I give instructional and/or practical advice like that? I don't think so! That man! :0)

7 Comments:

Blogger Adrielle said...

Jeannie, I appreciate you very much. I didn't get to grow up in your home, but it is evident to me in the amazing children that you have raised what a great job you and Darrell have done along the way. And I know now how much of that depends on the mama!!! :) Just want you to know you are loved!!! Thanks for visiting for dinner tonight! :)

October 22, 2007 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger Ila Brook said...

Goodness.... it must be football season!! ;-) This is a side of "Aunt Jeannie" I never knew existed. In 16 years (can you believe it?) I've only seen the upbeat, positive, "everything is just dandy" Aunt Jeannie.... I have to say, Aunt Jeannie.... I love that you posted this! :-) I can only imagine how hard it was for you to write (and post!) but you did because it was what was in your heart. Thanks for having the courage and faith to be able to lay it all (good and not so good) at our feet and know we'll all still love you.... And some of us will be thrilled to see a new side of you!

October 23, 2007 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Mama Jeannie said...

This may be new to you sweet Brook, but I assure you nothing I have said will surprise anyone else. My dear children, who I would give my life for and who are the most rewarding and sometimes exasperating people in my life, know me like the back of their own hands.... and yes, they do love me. :0) Praise God! Just FYI kids... I love you so so so much! Just don't like being called 'old', OK? I mean 'old' is inevitable, but don't label me with it before my time, OK? :0)

October 23, 2007 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Jeannie--Not sure if you remember me, Courtney Creech, from Meridian. I recently found Amy in the blog world and continue to read her blog--seeing what other wives/mothers are doing and experiencing is often helpful in trying to figure it all out for myself! Anyway, saw your name and thought I would pop over to your blog...and God must have brought me here...your post couldn't have been more perfect for me to read today! What a thankless job it can be...and I'm only 2 1/2 years into the marriage and 8 months into motherhood! Chelsea and I, like your kids, adored our father and he could never do wrong in our eyes...I even named my son after him. While I still adore my father, the respect for my mother since joining the ranks of wives and mothers has come to the forefront. I appreciate your honesty in the frustration of living in the shadows...something I can relate to these days...and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there. I know God will continue to give us the strength and comfort to fulfill our roles and we will be greatly rewarded for it one day!

Blessings,
Courtney

October 24, 2007 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Mama Jeannie said...

First I want to thank you Adrielle for your love and appreciation for me and for what it takes to be a mom. You are amazing! You words encouraged me so much. Brook, I already addressed your comment and your words of acceptence, even when I'm a mess, have blessed my heart. Courtney, I do remember you when you were such a little girl; so beautiful too. I'm sure you still are... and a MOM!! Amazing!!! I would LOVE to see photos of you and your family. Please tell everyone I said 'hello'. It's a challenge to be a mom, isn't it, but so very rewarding. Every child is worth it all. I have four amazing kids who married some the most wonderful people in the world. We now have 6 grandchildren and one more on the way and I'm sure there are more to come. Mothering, even in this season of life continues to be a challenge because I want to do it so well; and of course, I have not mastered my position perfectly; nor will I ever I've realized. ha-ha However, there are even more rewards as life bumps along at break-neck speeds. Let's just say, 'bumpy' and 'speed' make for a wild ride, but I wouldn't trade the world for one mile of it. I obviously get weary and grumpy at times :0), but don't we all? Let me just say a word of encouragement to whomever may read this ... because in this bloggy world, we can say what we want... please be encouraged to always look at what you do in life in Light of Truth; whether it be mothering, being a Godly wife, friend, co-worker, etc.; always keep centered in the love of God through His Son, Jesus and even the challenging and overwhelming circumstances of life will come into perspective. Our responses will be loving and right when we passionately follow after His ways and purposes. I miss the mark when I lose sight of Him and life is good and right when He is my top priority. "His love is what holds everything else together." I am in awe of God's redeeming love over and over again.

October 26, 2007 at 4:57 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Oh, well of course....tons of pictures can be found at tennesseewilliams.blogspot.com. Again, thanks for sharing your wisdom with those of us now working our way up in the ranks!

October 26, 2007 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Mama Jeannie said...

I tried to comment on your blog, but it wouldn't let me. Don't know what info it wants from me. :0) Anyway, below is what I wrote incase you read this. Blessings, Jeannie Selke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Courtney,
How precious! I've been looking and reading parts of your blog entries. What a great mom you are. It's easy to tell little Clinton is so loved. What a handsome husband too! Where'd you guys find each other? Beautiful family to be sure!!

October 29, 2007 at 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home