My Photo
Name:
Location: Waco, Texas, United States

My life is blessed with a wonderful husband of 47 years, Darrell Lee Selke. Together we have had quite an adventure. A wedding in 1970, four kids; turning into a Gibbie and a Poppie with 13 grankids ...and staying joyful as we truly give God glory for such abundant blessings all along the way. We've had our challenges as all families do, but life is good because God is good. I love being a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend. We're excited about the future and looking forward to the next adventure God has for us,just around the corner I'm sure.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Happy Birthday Sweet Girl...

How I remember that day 34 years ago! We lived in Abernathy on that very windy and cold winter's day. Our home was a 12x60 trailer parked on a vacant lot with a little wire fence and our trusty bicycles chained to the post. We had sweet and caring neighbors and grandparents close by and didn't even realize how blessed we were. I had cleaned and tidied up the best I could at 9 months pregnant... and counting. Over and over again I cleaned as each day came and went, for a couple weeks. Every day seemed like it might be the one to the point I thought maybe this was a terrible joke and I would stay pregnant forever. We had been timing contractions off and on for days and then... that special morning happened. I told your daddy what was happening so he rushed to school to make sure he had things in order for his substitute, chatted with some co-workers while I washed my hair and did my nails. I was trying my best to take care of a two-year-old Coby and make sure I had packed everything, but was having to stop every 5-7 minutes to practice the breathing techniques we had learned in our childbirth classes. We called Gma and Gdad to let them know it was D-day and I waddled to the car. We left Coby with Granny and Pap and headed to University Hospital in Lubbock, Texas. This experience went much smoother than our adventure with Coby and our desire to use Lamaze; not nearly as much persecution, and your daddy was allowed in the delivery room! Breakthrough let me tell you. The choices we made regarding our birth experience was still either frowned upon as though we had committed a criminal act, or admired greatly; depending on which nurses were on duty. Either they had turned the corner to embrace this strange new philosophy of a mother's right to decide rather than being strapped down, drugged, and a baby being ripped out of her body with no memory left of what had happened to her, and with no support of a loving family around her... or they had not. We were glad to be a part of that pioneering group of young parents in our day and I believe all you young mommies have reaped blessings and better health care for you and your babies, in part, from the courage of our generation; daring to be 'different' in the face of scoffers and the judgemental mindset of some medical staff and family members. It is 4:29 PM as I am typing this blog entry. 34 years ago, I'm sure I was employing fast-panting, keeping my eyes glued to a focal point, and your sweet daddy was rubbing my back until his hand went numb. The nurses even brought me extra pillows so I could be more comfortable; a nice change from the hefty old girl who threw an extra pillow at me when I was in labor with Coby as she sarcastically said, "Is this part of your little deal?" I remember my childbirth teacher during my pregnancy with you Amy; a young mother herself, coming in from the cold parking lot to check on us. Her hands were still cool as she took Daddy's place and rubbed my back during contractions. Her countenance was so gentle I remember, and she was a source of much needed encouragement during that hard transitional time. I'm thankful for her to this day. She told me I was doing a good job and that I could make it, just when I was beginning to wonder if I really could. Around 5:00 I was about ready to start pushing, so they moved me to the delivery room; dad got his sterile gear on as though he were a surgeon and helped me move from the gurney to the delivery table. Oh how I sometimes envy you girls getting to labor and deliver all in one room; in one bed with that relaxing atmosphere. At 5:55 on December 5, 1973 my sweet Amy girl was born. My namesake. Your sweet little round face and big wondering eyes won my heart the moment I looked into your face. Light brown hair as soft as a bunny rabbit and a rosebud of a mouth. I could hardly take it in how much I loved you; my baby girl. Amazing!! I guess the next memory I have is when Grandme, Granny's mom, came to visit. I had laid you on my bed to sleep and we were sitting in the living room visiting for a minute before I took Grandme back to see you. Suddenly we looked up to see Coby carrying you with his little arms wrapped securely around your neck as he wagged you into the room with such pride. I didn't want him to drop you, so I slowly walked toward him and softly said, "Thank you Coby for bringing your little sister to meet Grandme." With a sigh of great relief I took you from him, cradled you in my arms and handed you to your great-grandmother. Talk about sucking the air out a car! Good grief!! I think there were about 4 grown women in that room and the whole house could have been air-locked; tightly sealed with no way of breaking it. You and Cobynever knew there had been any danger at all. Oh the innocence of children! I love remembering and I am so glad babies don't stay inside their mamas any longer than nine months!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Those are sweet memories!

December 5, 2007 at 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home