My Photo
Name:
Location: Waco, Texas, United States

My life is blessed with a wonderful husband of 47 years, Darrell Lee Selke. Together we have had quite an adventure. A wedding in 1970, four kids; turning into a Gibbie and a Poppie with 13 grankids ...and staying joyful as we truly give God glory for such abundant blessings all along the way. We've had our challenges as all families do, but life is good because God is good. I love being a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend. We're excited about the future and looking forward to the next adventure God has for us,just around the corner I'm sure.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

What I Love About Christmas...

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? both, but wrapping paper is more fun to unwrap
2. Real tree or artificial? Artificial, but I love the smell of a real tree and hope to have one out on our porch.
3. When do you put up the tree? Right after Thanksgiving
4. When do you take the tree down? I try to have it down by the first week of January
5. Do you like eggnog? No
6. Favorite gift received as a child? A baby doll with a face that looked real; a surprise swing set. Was amazed that Santa knew how to put that thing up in the middle of the night.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? I have one but can't find it. Weird I know. I'll get another one this year for sure.
8. Hardest person to buy for? Pretty much all the men in my family.
9. Easiest person to buy for? The babies.
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?One year Santa got mixed up and gave my sister a pretty baby doll and I got something like a Barbie. I was so disappointed I hid and cried.
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Definitely mail. It just seems more personal.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I love the old "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I always say I'll be finished by the second week of December, but inevitably we'll be shopping on Christmas Eve for those last minute treasures.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I don't think so, but not sure.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Peppermint stick off the Christmas tree
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear
17. Favorite Christmas song? "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "Mary Did You Know?"
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I always liked being home on Christmas morning and Darrell and I still like the idea of it; it is a bit lonely though with all our kids not being there like the old days. We love going to their homes though to see what's underneath their trees and to have meals and good visits together; it's different than before, but still good.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Nope
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star... the same little piece of cardboard covered in aluminum foil that the kids and I made years ago when they were little. We had no money to buy decorations and that little star is such a treasure as it reminds me of how much love we have for each other regardless of our circumstances.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We've always opened gifts first thing Christmas morning. However, I too love the PJ tradition on Christmas Eve; maybe Poppie and Gibbie will start a new tradition in this second half of life.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? This is not annoying, but I think it's sad that there are so many folks who are sad and depressed during this time of year because of memories of personal loss through death or divorce; not having a job or the finances to buy presents for their children; and that they see this happen year after year with no hope in sight. So very sad.
23. What I love most about Christmas? I love the sparkle of Christmas lights and decorations. I love that the weather finally resembles winter with cooler temps and leaves of gold and bronze and red. I love fires in the fireplace, Christmas music as I sit quietly with a cup of hot chocolate looking at all the dazzling memories of past Christmases hanging on our tree. I love our cozy Christmas house, the hustle and bustle of shoppers even though I'm not a great shopper. I love driving around with the radio on a station that plays continual Christmas music while looking at the Christmas lights in pretty neighborhoods. I love the smell of Barnes and Noble; browsing through all the Christmas books they have displayed in the center of the aisles and the smell of coffee. I love going to a Christmas Eve service with family; celebrating our King and Lord together with other believers. I love being with my children and their children and my mom and dad; my sisters and their families. As Emily said... "There is so much to love" about Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home